Sunday, October 14, 2007

An Ellensburg October!

Fall is definitely here. Besides the even cooler weather, the town is just full of beautiful fall colors and harvest events.

Yesterday we joined two sets of friends at "Dusty's Nursery" for their 2nd annual harvest fest. Because we live in campus housing, a donated can of food each got us in with free pumpkins for the kids (by the way, even if it weren't for the benefits of free cable, utilities, etc., we really are starting to enjoy living here).
Although a fairly small property, the harvest fest included a pumpkin patch from which the kids chose their pumpkins, a vote-for-your-favorite-scarecrow contest, a small corn maze, a hay bale playhouse, a guess-the-weight-of-the-pumpkin contest, sack races, face painting, a balloon artist, a petty zoo, pony rides and concessions. It was great! Gideon's favorite things were the corn maze and the playhouse. At one point, we were keeping an eye on him at the playhouse, and just as Graham looked over, he saw him following some older kids into the corn maze. Graham ran over there as fast as he could, and after searching through rows and rows of corn finally found him on the other side of the maze in a parking lot. Yikes!

Over by the concessions was a box of free dwarf red apples to sample. They were so cute and just right for little hands. Both the kids loved them, and I think Hannah must have eaten two or three by herself. So we bought a bag full for $2. Hannah also enjoyed looking at all the flowers and did her usual "oooohhh!" at the waterfall there. So cute!



















Today we had weather in the mid-60s, so we went for a walk to the big park near our house. Wow, the fall colors are just so amazing, and we're wondering, does Fresno just not have this, or are we only noticing them here because we're somewhere new? I could talk about it all day, but I'll just let you enjoy the pictures.

7 comments:

Dorina Gilmore said...

Beautiful pics. Looks like you guys are getting a fall color show up there already. That's one thing I miss living in Fresno - the leaves only change for a short while. Happy Harvest!
Dorina

Amanda said...

Fresno just doesn't have the fall colors. That is one thing I miss about the East Coast a whole lot. Your pictures are gorgeous! I'm glad you're enjoying the beautiful weather :)

Garry J. Moes said...

Beautiful. Looks like life is good! We appreciate your blog so much. Seems like we're closer than when you were closer.
Dad Moes

clk said...

As always, love the pics. I feel like you and Heather are living parallel lives sometimes. She and I actually entered the scarecrow contest and won Most Traditional Scarecrow at the Fall Into Canandaigua Festival. Our guy was in front of the Aberle Eye Care shop on Main Street--still there as far as I know! And there are Apple farms and pumpkins farms and of course gorgeous colors. Drink it in!
Love, Cynthia

clk said...

As always, love the pics. I feel like you and Heather are living parallel lives sometimes. She and I actually entered the scarecrow contest and won Most Traditional Scarecrow at the Fall Into Canandaigua Festival. Our guy was in front of the Aberle Eye Care shop on Main Street--still there as far as I know! And there are Apple farms and pumpkins farms and of course gorgeous colors. Drink it in!
Love, Cynthia

hmmm... said...

Okay, so I was coming to post, "We are living parallel lives!" and then saw what my mom wrote. Dang, she and I are two peas in a pod!!!

Heather

KK said...

I think autumn is my favorite season. I love the leaves, the weather, using blankets, making soup (yes, I have been cooking!) I did go for a semi-country drive today and saw some colors other than green, but they were more few and far between than I would prefer...