Saturday, September 15, 2007

Starting to feel at home


On the front porch with her pipe

This Monday marks three weeks since we arrived in Ellensburg, and we're starting to feel more and more at home. Looks like we're going to stay in the apartment a little while longer since we're just not ready to buy a house with the resources we have (or don't have...clear throat). I don't get my first full pay check until the 25th, so we decided to wait at least until then to see what we can actually afford.

We had our eye on a cute, new house on the north side of town and were this close to making an offer, but something told me (or Someone) told me to hold off. It was hard to let go, but we know that He was protecting us from potential disaster and has something better in store.

So now that we might be here a while, we bought a nice big rug for our living room and actually hung some stuff on the walls. I also made space in the little kitchen to bring in my baking pans and casserole dish from storage, so at least I can make some yummy fall treats!

We're making new friends each day. The funny thing is that our friends here remind us of certain friends in Fresno. I call Selmah (one of my co-workers) my E-burg Kristin, and believe it or not, Graham made a friend who reminds us of Tim!

Gideon's best friend here is named Katie (like cousin Cadie). She spent the night with us last night because her mom just had surgery and needed some time to rest.

We've also been adopted by a couple who have sons our age who I call our E-burg Arnie and Brenda. Of course it will take time to develop these relationships as deep as our "real" friends, but it's a start!

The funniest story is of a couple who the husband is a writer and was a stay-at-home dad, and the mom works at CWU. They have two kids, ages three and one, and the most ironic part of it is that our telephone numbers are exactly the same, except the last two numbers are reversed! What's even funnier is that when we first plugged in our phone, we weren't getting any calls and it seemed weird that even our moms weren't calling.

So I got on the cell phone and asked Graham if maybe our number ended in 68, not 86, so I kept calling both numbers trying to figure out which one it was, and poor John (our friend) kept answering the phone, which, by the third time I just hung up!

Come to find out that our ringer wasn't on (duh!), but when we exchanged numbers, I told him the story and he remembered the incident. Then I was really embarrassed, but thankfully he didn't hold it against me. We'll be having lunch with them next Sunday.

1 comment:

KK said...

What a funny story! It's awesome to see how God is providing for your family in Ellensburg; He is so faithful!