Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My job update

Now that I've made it through my first quarter as the International Student Advisor, I have to admit that the start of winter quarter was much, much easier. This quarter brought in 55 new students bringing my total advisee list to a whoppin' 204. Yikes!

Thirty of the new students are a cohort group of men from Vietnam studying Aviation Management. Although I know nothing of this topic, I will serve as their Advisor for the next five quarters. Learning their names has been...well, interesting, but they're a great group of guys and have been very patient with my lack of experience with Vietnamese students.

The greatest part of my job right now is that word is starting to spread to the students that I'm here, I'm nice and I'm willing to help. It's a great feeling when a student walks away with direction for a major. Or now understands what she has to do to graduate. It's been especially rewarding to talk with students who arrived when my position was vacant and to hear them say, "Oh, I'm so glad you're here." It's also been nice to see the students who were new last quarter and actually know their names and recognize their faces. I don't feel like the "newbie" anymore and am actually able to do what I came here to do [sigh of relief].

No comments: